Friday, January 28, 2011

Remembering the Shuttle Challenger Tragedy


January 28, 1986 is a day many Americans remember well. The Space Shuttle Challenger had just lifted off from the Kennedy Space Center when it exploded.

All seven on board died in the accident.

The Challenger Learning Center in Paducah is remembering the day with a special guest. Kentucky's only astronaut, Col. Terrence Wilcutt will be on hand.

We talked to him about the tragedy and his life as an astronaut. Click here to hear that interview.

Here's what some of our Facebook friends had to say about that day 25 years ago.

Ray Lindsey:
I was in the 4th Grade at Chisholm Elementary School in Edmond, Oklahoma. My classmates and I were watching it live in the auditorium. When the disaster happened, our principal Mrs. Mitchell, turned the Television off. I remember that The Cosby Show was supposed to be on that Night but instead President Regan was on TV. He said a line in his speech I will never forget to this day. "To leave the surely bonds of Earth, to touch the face of God."

Allan Shotts:
When we came in from recess at 10:45, we found our teacher in tears, she was recording the launch as we were studying space and was following a teacher.

Bill Chaplain:
I lived in Fl at the time and was driving down the road , listening on the radio to the launch. I watched out the window of the van I was driving as it blew up ...... It was a very somber daw at work after that and for several days everyone was very sad for what had happened.

Amy Lynn Curry:
I was in Kindergarten in a small school. My class was sitting in the library and we were all excited to see the shuttle launch. We had been learning about all of that in the days leading up to it. I remember when it happened just like it was yesterday...We were all sent home early that day.

Jennifer Stowers:
I was in third grade in a West Frankfort School. We were watching the launch on TV, when the explosion happened our teacher turned off the TV and many teachers gathered to discuss turning it back on for us to see what came of it. They made the decision that it was something that we should not see. I also remember watching some of the memorial service at school.

1 comment:

  1. I was in college at Abilene Christian University in the student center having coffee when the news came on. At first we thought it was a false report but then the reality hit. It was surreal and unimaginable. Nobody thought this would, or could, happen to the US Space Program. My next class was symphonic band and we had a moment of silence and prayers before practice. I remember a lot of tears and somber students for the next few days. What a terrible loss for America. The astronaut I admired most was Judith Resnick. A sad and tragic day for humanity.

    ReplyDelete